The different components of the renewable energy system should form a “smart” and self-managing system, which ensures safe operation of all components through communication.
Currently, the communication protocol is not yet fixed. However, EnergyBus is a very promising candidate.
Requirements for the communication protocol
- Plug and play (high-level protocol needed)
- Only advanced features should require previous configuration
- Master-less (distributed system)
- Advanced energy management features
- Multiple sources and sinks
- Prioritization of nodes (e.g solar has higher priority than diesel generator, fridge has lower priority than laptop)
- Cheap and reliable
- Remote firmware flashing
- Possible candidates:
- CAN and CANopen/EnergyBus
- RS485 and proprietary protocol (Modbus not capable of master-less communication)
- TCP/IP via Ethernet or WiFi (expensive!)
- Cheap low-power radio (e.g. NRF24L01+, RFM12, BLE)
- Problem: How to identify plug and socket?